We are looking at two “Hartman Brothers, receipts today. The Hartman Brothers (Jacob, John & Thomas) operated the largest “General Merchandise” store in Nappanee, located on the West side of South Main. The Hartman Brothers’ 3 story buildings are still standing.
They advertised that they were dealers in “Dry Goods, Clothing, Boots and shoes, Groceries and Queensware, Grain and Hay.” The Coppes, Zook & Mutschler Co. did a large amount of business with the Hartman Brothers. These two receipts, one dated Feb, 14, 1907, is for a large amount of grain that was likely used as horse feed. In 1907 the C, Z & M Co. had a dozen or more “teams” of horses that were used to haul logs to the sawmill. Also, Frank and John Coppes took pride in the “fancy teams of horses” that they still maintained, although they had automobiles by this date. They kept horses because they liked having them.
The March 2nd, 1909 receipt is has more general merchandise items. Such as “lantern globes 2 @ .20. or on Feb 19th these lines _ “To 3 yds. Oil Cloth — .90 for Saw Mill- B. J. Miller”, possibly using the oilcloth to cover an open window opening in the winter.